I read Young House Love (a DIY design blog that is fun and teaches me things that maybe I will one day put into action). The other day they put out a thrifting challenge because of this new song out there about the activity. I have not listened to the song, and don’t care to, but I do like to shop second hand!
The challenge had three rules:
1. Go to a thrift shop with – just as the chorus of the song says – “$20 in your pocket”and take a picture.
I did not take a picture of me with $20. What can I say…I am a rule breaker.
2. Spend that $20 any way you’d like and photograph your spoils.
3. Find one item (or more) referenced in the song and snap a pic.
Yet another rule I broke because I didn’t listen to the song and also Calvin does not a great photographer make.
So earlier this week I went out with my $20 (and instructions from Tim to only buy something if it was useful – which is no problem for me because I don’t like owning something if it is not used for antying) to our MCC which I prefer to Value Village because they are non profit and they have cheaper prices. Here is what I got:
- 3 blue couch cushions. Tim would say we have too many as it is, but a couple of them are hand me downs from family friends when I first moved out 5 years ago and are looking a little worse for wear. A few others we got for our wedding are getting really lumpy. The only one I have that is in good shape is a $5 one from London Drugs. But these new ones are in good shape and got the stamp of approval from Tim.
- a blue wicker basket. I have put this in Calvin’s room on top of his dresser to hold all his socks and little things that tend to get scattered around.
- Pyjamas. Calvin had a little growth spurt recently and grew out of a chunk of his clothes. Cheap baby clothes are always a good thing!
- A cute little lamp. I am going to use this as my bedside lamp I think. The one I have currently is a little big and more suited to a living space. Maybe one day I will change out the shade for something different, but it’s not bad. I like the glass knobby thing in the middle.
- 2 winter hats. These fit Calvin and might still next year. I thought they were super cute, and I like the beavers on the black one.
- Rummy-O. Who doesn’t like this game? Tim and I enjoy playing a good game together and also with people we have over. I couldn’t pass this up.
- A bag of wooden toys. Most of the toys there were kind of junky or just bits and pieces of larger sets. But I saw this ziplock of wooden cars and I knew I had to have it! My favourite one is the tiny helicopter.
My calculator now is telling me that the total is $20.50, but I came away with two quarters, so maybe I got a free pillow? Anyhow, I thought my haul was pretty good.
Have you found anything at the thrift store lately?